Personal injury? Car accident? If you've been hurt, we've got a great list of do's and don's that can get you well on your way!
IF you're involved in a personal injury case, whether it's a motor vehicle, a slip in fall, you name it, it's important to do make sure you're keeping your claim "safe" and make it difficult for an insurance company or an attorney to defend your case:
The Do’s of a Successful Personal Injury Case
• Do call the police to the scene.
• Do obtain an incident report.
• Do call an ambulance to the scene.
• Do seek medical treatment immediately for your injuries.
• Do seek follow up care with your doctor.
• Do obtain consistent medical care.
• Do keep all medical appointments.
• Do follow doctor’s orders.
• Do obtain witness contact information.
• Do take photographs or videos of the scene of the collision or area where the incident occurred.
• Do use health insurance to pay for your medical care.
• Do disclose any accidents or injuries that you had before or after the collision or incident to your attorney.
• Do keep records of lost work due to the incident.
• Do consult with an attorney.
• Do be patient. Expect your case to take anywhere from 6 months to a few years before it is resolved.
• Do be aware that the other side could be surveilling you.
The Don’ts of a Successful Personal Injury Case
• Do not post any information about your injuries, the incident, or anything related to your claim or case on social media or anywhere on the internet.
• Do not lie or exaggerate your injuries.
• Do not give any insurance companies a recorded statement.
• Do not contact any witnesses or parties on your own.
• Do not talk about your claim or your attorney to your medical providers.
• Do not place yourself in harm’s way just to obtain a photograph or other information on the scene. Make sure you’re safe first.
• Do not quit medical treatment until you recover from your injuries.
• Do not settle your case until your medical treatment is completed.
Bottom line, if you're injured, get in touch with an experienced injury attorney like Ashmore & Ashmore! Visit our website for more information: www.ashmorelawfirm.com